A letter: 13 months
Posted on | March 4, 2013 | 2 Comments
Sweet baby Hazel,
My oh my, you are OVER a year old already! A lot of people in public have been asking me how old you are, and I can't say '13 months,' I've just been saying 'she just turned a year.' But soon you'll be 14, 15, 16 months. I know this sounds repetitive but how is that possible?


You are officially walking everywhere! You took your first steps when you were about 11 1/2 months old, but you only took 2-8 steps for quite a few weeks before venturing on longer treks. It's been about a week now where you've been walking from room to room and taking multiple turns unassisted. You had once mishap last week that ended with a black eye - that made mama real sad. This new found mobility is certainly going to keep your daddy and me in shape!


You still love the outdoors and anything to do with animals (why do you think we had a woodland theme for your birthday?). You hug each of our pets before bed (all while saying "awwww"), and last night you even wanted to hug the new baby chicks. Often when we are hiking outside you simply squeal with delight in your pack as you look into the forest or the running stream. Good thing because I think you're in for a lot of outdoor time with a mom and dad like us... :)

You are eating three meals a day with snacks in between, and you are still nursing quite a bit during the day. You are absolutely obsessed with eating meat - we often have to give you veggies for a main course and use meat for dessert. Chicken, turkey, beef, elk, fish ... you name it, you love it. Your pediatrician said your body must be using the protein for all these new found milestones. Some of your other favorite foods are broccoli, applesauce, eggs, peas, corn, and of course cheese. You like bread too but don't have it very often (we're trying to keep you loving whole foods!).
Another thing you love is music. You've been into dancing for months now but we're starting to notice your favorite type of music (rock and roll). Your favorite band of all time is Weezer (ha ha) but you also like The Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam, and Mumford & Sons. Really you like everything, but I notice those bands really get you going! Lately when I ask, 'what does a rocker do?' you start head banging. It's pretty hilarious!
Your favorite toys are anything that you shouldn't have (ha, ha). But really, you love your rubber ducky above all, carrying him out & about. You also have a monkey and a teddy bear that get hugs every morning. Another one of your favorite is your walker, and a wooden push toy you just got for a birthday gift from grandma. You also love when I read your stories, and I can tell your attention span is getting longer because you sit for a good book or two before continuing on your way. Your favorite books are 'On the Day you were Born,' 'Goodnight Moon,' 'It's Time to Sleep, My Love,' 'Wherever You Are - my love will find you,' and 'Good Night Oregon.'
I will end this by saying this has been the most amazing & fulfilling year of my life. You are so caring and sweet, funny and quirky, and I'm so excited to spend each & every day with you in my life. Often I just stare as you sleep & wonder how on this earth we got so lucky to be blessed by such an incredible soul. Being your mother is truly where I belong.
Comments
- April
- I am a RN & natural momma in the Pacific Northwest, married to a beautiful man I adore. Nature is my niche, animals get me. I read and I write, I hike and I love photography. Welcomed our daughter Hazel Annan earthside in February 2012 after three years of infertility & our second miracle daughter Juniper Louise in April 2014.
Archives
What I write about
#2
(
9
)
anniversary
(
1
)
April
(
3
)
autumn
(
8
)
Baby
(
89
)
babywearing
(
6
)
belly
(
14
)
Birth
(
10
)
birthday
(
7
)
Blog
(
6
)
Books
(
5
)
Brad
(
1
)
california
(
1
)
Camping
(
6
)
chickens
(
6
)
childhood
(
1
)
Christmas
(
19
)
coast
(
1
)
Crafty
(
3
)
easter
(
2
)
embrace
(
2
)
emotions
(
2
)
Family
(
27
)
father
(
1
)
first bubble bath
(
1
)
flashback friday
(
6
)
flu
(
1
)
fly fishing
(
1
)
friends
(
1
)
Furbabies
(
17
)
Gardening
(
3
)
Glacier
(
2
)
gratitude
(
1
)
guest post
(
3
)
halloween
(
2
)
Hiking
(
10
)
holidays
(
8
)
Homesteading
(
10
)
House
(
14
)
hypnobabies
(
1
)
infertility
(
24
)
italy
(
3
)
IVF
(
1
)
Juniper
(
5
)
letter
(
11
)
life
(
2
)
Loss
(
6
)
Love
(
33
)
market
(
1
)
marriage
(
3
)
Michigan
(
11
)
Milestones
(
5
)
Motherhood
(
53
)
mothers day
(
1
)
Music
(
9
)
My father
(
1
)
natural living
(
2
)
Nature
(
42
)
new year
(
1
)
north umpqua
(
1
)
nostalgia
(
1
)
nursing
(
1
)
Ocean
(
2
)
one year
(
1
)
Oregon
(
67
)
outdoors
(
3
)
parenting
(
1
)
Peace
(
2
)
Photo project
(
74
)
Photography
(
72
)
poetry
(
5
)
portland
(
1
)
pregnancy
(
6
)
reading
(
1
)
redwoods
(
2
)
resolutions
(
1
)
right now
(
1
)
river
(
1
)
santa
(
1
)
seasons
(
1
)
silver falls
(
1
)
sisters
(
4
)
sleep
(
1
)
smile
(
1
)
snow
(
8
)
solstice
(
1
)
spring
(
4
)
spring break
(
1
)
summer
(
1
)
teens
(
1
)
Thankful
(
28
)
this moment
(
32
)
Thoughts
(
39
)
toddler
(
26
)
toddler words
(
2
)
Travel
(
5
)
two
(
1
)
two babes
(
1
)
unconditional parenting
(
1
)
vacation
(
5
)
waterfalls
(
2
)
winnie the pooh
(
1
)
winter
(
2
)
Work
(
13
)
Writing
(
19
)
yellowstone
(
5
)


March 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM
April,
I love this post! Love seeing all the pictures too.
Love,
Taryn
March 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM
What a beautiful soul she is. Such lovely pictures of your family.