Coastal Bounty

Posted on | April 3, 2011 | 5 Comments

This week I learned that ignoring something does not make it go away (you'd think I would have learned that in first grade?).  Human nature never fails, I suppose.

Thursday I took a day trip to the coast with the man I love.  We bush-whacked through shrubs and creeks, wondering why it was so difficult to see the ocean at our chosen beach.  Eventually we made it, dogs in tow.


Something about the ocean amazes me, providing me with balance and calm.



After an hour or two of perusing the beach, we were awarded with a dozen sand dollars.  The locals down the beach glared as if we discovered their secret.


Upon arriving home, the chef I married whipped up some local clams with veggies from our spring garden.  Delish!


A good amount of the weekend was spent doing yard work.  Clearing downed timber, aerating the lawn, preparing/tilling the soil for my new garden, and tending to our chickens.  The chicks turned chickens have discovered their roost - every night at 7:20 pm they wait in line to walk up their staircase and rest until sunrise.   It's lovely yet befuddling just to watch - how do they know to do that?  Routine,  reliance on nature.  You can learn so much from animals.

And I bring you to today.  On this lazy Sunday I shoveled and wheelbarrowed (is that a word?) nearly 3000 lbs of river rock to make a trail on the property.  Gone are are the days of muddy lab prints.  Not gone are the days of a well deserved back rub.

Now a new week begins.  Any big plans, my friends?

Comments

5 Responses to “ Coastal Bounty ”

  1. this.is.katie
    April 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM

    here's the thing about your writing...
    after I read your posts and look at your wonderful pictures, I want your life. Is that creepy? haha

    Seriously... what I wouldn't give to live near the ocean. Have chickens and want to plant a garden. Hell, I would even wheelbarrow all that river rock to be as happy as you seem in your writing.

    But I think I've figured it out. It's not necessarily your life I want, I just want a life that makes me happy enough to write about it :) Someday my friend, you will read a post from me that screams peace and happiness like this wonderful post from you <3

  2. Madalena Soares
    April 5, 2011 at 3:14 AM

    You do have a beautiful life. I totally agree with the previous comment. I wish I had the possibility to enjoy the nature as you do. Unfortunately I have such an urban life and it sucks, most of the time. :P

  3. emily b.
    April 6, 2011 at 10:18 PM

    i just love that pic of you running with your pups :) seems to capture so much of the best stuff in life...

    the beach has always been my 'happy place.' the place i could go to with tears streaming down my face and leave feeling renewed. something about the accountability of the waves...they come in and go out without fail.

    also, you are like superwoman. wheelbarrowing and the like :) can i be jealous of your superwomanness? cuz i am :)

    xo, em

  4. Stacey
    April 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM

    I LOVE the pictures of you and your dogs!!! I wish I could take pictures like yours. Do you have updated pics of the chicks?? I'g love to see them perched in their roost.

    Lots of luck with the IVF... :o)

  5. April
    April 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM

    You are all so sweet!

    Katie, I too hope you can write about your happiness someday. I know that day will come soon enough, my love. <3 And of course that is not creepy hehe :)

    Madalena, thank you! Your life is beautiful too, I love love love when you post photos!

    Emily, I am kind of a superwoman... hehe jk :)

    Stacey, I will have to update new pictures of the chicks soon! We've been so busy preparing for IVF I actually haven't taken many photos! Soon my friend! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What I write about

#2 ( 9 ) anniversary ( 1 ) April ( 3 ) autumn ( 8 ) Baby ( 89 ) babywearing ( 6 ) belly ( 14 ) Birth ( 10 ) birthday ( 7 ) Blog ( 6 ) Books ( 5 ) Brad ( 1 ) california ( 1 ) Camping ( 6 ) chickens ( 6 ) childhood ( 1 ) Christmas ( 19 ) coast ( 1 ) Crafty ( 3 ) easter ( 2 ) embrace ( 2 ) emotions ( 2 ) Family ( 27 ) father ( 1 ) first bubble bath ( 1 ) flashback friday ( 6 ) flu ( 1 ) fly fishing ( 1 ) friends ( 1 ) Furbabies ( 17 ) Gardening ( 3 ) Glacier ( 2 ) gratitude ( 1 ) guest post ( 3 ) halloween ( 2 ) Hiking ( 10 ) holidays ( 8 ) Homesteading ( 10 ) House ( 14 ) hypnobabies ( 1 ) infertility ( 24 ) italy ( 3 ) IVF ( 1 ) Juniper ( 5 ) letter ( 11 ) life ( 2 ) Loss ( 6 ) Love ( 33 ) market ( 1 ) marriage ( 3 ) Michigan ( 11 ) Milestones ( 5 ) Motherhood ( 53 ) mothers day ( 1 ) Music ( 9 ) My father ( 1 ) natural living ( 2 ) Nature ( 42 ) new year ( 1 ) north umpqua ( 1 ) nostalgia ( 1 ) nursing ( 1 ) Ocean ( 2 ) one year ( 1 ) Oregon ( 67 ) outdoors ( 3 ) parenting ( 1 ) Peace ( 2 ) Photo project ( 74 ) Photography ( 72 ) poetry ( 5 ) portland ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 6 ) reading ( 1 ) redwoods ( 2 ) resolutions ( 1 ) right now ( 1 ) river ( 1 ) santa ( 1 ) seasons ( 1 ) silver falls ( 1 ) sisters ( 4 ) sleep ( 1 ) smile ( 1 ) snow ( 8 ) solstice ( 1 ) spring ( 4 ) spring break ( 1 ) summer ( 1 ) teens ( 1 ) Thankful ( 28 ) this moment ( 32 ) Thoughts ( 39 ) toddler ( 26 ) toddler words ( 2 ) Travel ( 5 ) two ( 1 ) two babes ( 1 ) unconditional parenting ( 1 ) vacation ( 5 ) waterfalls ( 2 ) winnie the pooh ( 1 ) winter ( 2 ) Work ( 13 ) Writing ( 19 ) yellowstone ( 5 )


Gratitude Sunday